Upgrading from VHDL Simili version 2.0/1.5 to a newer version (does not
apply if you are upgrading from version 2.1 to 2.2 or higher)
With version VHDL Simili version 2.1, an upgrade to the FLEXlm license
manager had to be done due to some technical reasons. Unfortunately, this has
caused older license files to become incompatible. While you can
download/request the newer license files for the product you own using the
Licensing Wizard, you may run into problems running license managers for the two
versions. While it is technically possible to run both license managers using
separate TCP ports (see documentation for FLEXlm), we do not recommend this as
it can cause a lot of confusion. It is highly recommend that you have exactly
one license manager running at any given time.
The procedures to shutting down (and restarting) a license manager is given
below. Note that these procedures are only for the computer designated as the
Using the tool LMTOOLS available in the Start menu (use
Start->Programs->Symphony EDA->VHDL Simili X.Y->License
Management->License Configurator... where X.Y represents the version number;
for example 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3)
- Using the first tab, select the License manager appropriate for the
version that you want disabled. The name of the license manager for VHDL
Simili 2.0 was simply called "Symphony EDA License Manager". The
license manager for VHDL Simili 2.1/2.2 is now called "Symphony EDA Lic.
Mgr (v1.1)". Note that version 1.1 is the version of the license
manager and has not directly related to the version of VHDL Simili you are
- Symphony EDA prefers that you enable the "Configuration using
services" checkbox for configuring (enabling or disabling) the license
- Switch over to the "Start/Stop/Reread" tab and click on the
"Stop Server" button
- Switch over to the "Config Services" tab and disable the check
boxes at the bottom of the page (the checkboxes that automatically start the
license manager at system power-up).
- Use the "Save Service" button to save any changes you have made
in the "Config Services" tab.
- To start the License manager for the version you wish to run, go back to
the first tab ("Service/License File") and select the appropriate
- Switch to the "Start/Stop/Reread" tab and then press the
"Start Server" button.
- Optional: If you want this license manager to start at system power-up,
switch over to the "Config. Services" tab and select the
check-boxes at the bottom of the page appropriately and then press the
"Save Service" button.
- In a shell window, change directory to the version of the
<install-dir>/bin directory of the appropriate version of the software
(the version you want to disable)
- In the directory, execute the command
./lmdown -c symphony.lic
Replace the file "symphony.lic" with the actual license file
path name if you are not using the default name. After doing this, make sure
that the processes "lmgrd" and "symlm" are not running
- If you have configured the license manager to start during a reboot (for
example in rc.local) make sure you remember to remove it if this is not
- Change directory to the version you want to enable <install-dir>/bin
and then execute the following commad
./lmgrd -c symphony.lic -l /tmp/symlmgrd11.log
Please find complete instructions for starting the license manager in
section 3.6 of the users manual.